I love eggplant no matter how you cook it. For this dip it has zero carbs and will fill you up in the afternoon. Just make it and keep it around with some cut up veggies.
So, all you
need for this dip is:
Optional: fresh herbs. Totally unnecessary but great for an extra flavor boost + more color.
- Preheat oven to high broil (or medium if you have the ability) and position a rack at the top of the oven.
- Slice your eggplant into 1/4 inch rounds and sprinkle with sea salt and place in a colander in the sink to drain any excess liquid. After 10 minutes, rinse slightly and then pat dry between two towels.
- Arrange on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of sea salt. Roast for 5-10 minutes, turning once or twice, until the eggplant is softened and golden brown. Remove from pan, stack and wrap the rounds in foil to lock in moisture – wait 5 minutes.
- Peel away most of the skin of the eggplant (a little is OK) and add flesh to a food processor. It should be soft and tender and the skin should come off easy.
- Add lemon juice, garlic, tahini, a pinch of salt and mix until creamy. Add herbs last and pulse to incorporate. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. I added a bit more tahini and another pinch of salt.
- Serve with veggies. Will keep covered in the fridge for several days