This dish is so yummy! It takes some prep work, however, you will have a lot of meals already made. Super healthy and you will not even be able to tell it is noodle free.
- 1 pound grass fed ground beef
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can salt free crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 medium zucchini
- 2 Yellow Squash
- 4 cups of Spinach
- 1 tbs oregano
- 3/4 cups ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 large egg
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (16 ounces)
- Heat a large, deep nonstick skillet over high heat. Add the meat, season with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and cook, using a wooden spoon to break the meat into small pieces as it browns, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Put the skillet over medium heat. Add the coconut oil and onion and cook, stirring, until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Return the meat to the pan, add the tomatoes, basil, oregano, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and the black pepper to taste. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 25 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer uncovered 10 minutes, until thickened.
- Meanwhile, slice the zucchini and yellow squash lengthwise with a mandolin into 1/8-inch-thick slices (you should have at least 30 to 35 long zucchini ribbons). Lightly salt the zucchini with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and set aside for 15 minutes. Then blot the water off the zucchini with paper towels.
- Preheat a grill to medium heat (or preheat a grill pan over medium heat).
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, yogurt, Parmesan, spinach and egg. Spread 1/2 cup of the meat sauce in the bottom of a 9 × 13 × 2 1/2- inch baking dish. Make a layer of the zucchini/yellow squash over the sauce to cover the bottom of the dish. Spread 1/2 cup of the ricotta mixture over the zucchini and sprinkle with 1 cup of the mozzarella. Make another layer of zucchini, top with 1 1/2 cups meat sauce, 1/2 cup ricotta mixture, 1 cup mozzarella. Repeat the layers with the remaining ingredients for a total of 3 layers. Finish the lasagna by topping with the remaining zucchini and meat sauce. Cover the dish with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes, remove the foil, and bake 20 minutes uncovered. Add the remaining 1 cup mozzarella and bake uncovered until bubbling and the cheese is melted, 10 more minutes. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting into 8 pieces.