So a little chit chat in the gym yesterday talking about how we could create chocolate bars you can add to your meals. Ask and you shall receive. Throw on a plate with some roasted veggies. YUM!
- For the Mocha Rub (you will have extra)
- 2 tbsp finely ground coffee beans
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder (penny’s high fat cocoa would be perfect.)
- 1 tsp Aleppo Pepper (or sweet paprika)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp sea salt
- For the Roast
- 2 lb. beef roast (I used grass-fed chuck)
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ an onion, chopped
- 6 dried figs, chopped
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Prepare the mocha rub by mixing together the finely ground coffee, smoked paprika, black pepper, cocoa powder, Aleppo pepper (sub: sweet paprika), chili powder, ground ginger and salt in a small bowl.
- Pat the beef roast dry with a paper towel. Spoon 3 to 4 tablespoons of the mocha rub mixture over the roast and rub it in well with your hands.
- Combine the brewed coffee, beef broth, onion, figs, and balsamic vinegar in a blender. Puree until liquified.
- Pour the liquid into the crock pot and place the roast gently on top.
- Cook for 5 to 6 hours on low.
- Remove the meat and shred with two forks. You can then boil the liquid until it reduces and thickens or simply serve as is. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper to taste.