- 4 tablespoons of pasture raised gelatin powder (great lakes gelatin or vital proteins)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 Tablespoon of marshmallow root
- 1 cup of honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or other flavor optionals (mint extract, lemon, cocoa powder, etc)
- Optional: 4 capsules of probiotics. Or a probiotic powder. Shelf stable recommended
- A small sauce pan, plus a hand mixer & a metal bowl- or a kitchen aid mixer if you have one
- Optional Step: Combine 1 cup of warm water with the 1 tablespoon of Marshmallow Root and let sit for 5 minutes (or as long as overnight in the fridge), Stir well and strain. Make sure that the liquid makes a whole cup.
- Pour ½ cup of water(marshmallow mix if you used it) into the metal bowl or mixer bowl and add the gelatin. Whisk slightly to incorporate and let sit.
- Pour the other ½ cup of water and the 1 cup of honey into the small saucepan.
- Slowly bring the water and honey mixture to a boil. If you have a kitchen thermometer, you want it to reach at least 240 degrees. If not, just keep boiling, stirring constantly for 8 minutes.
- Slowly start pouring the honey/water mixture into the bowl with the gelatin mix (which will be hardened by now).
- Turn on the mixer or hand mixer and keep on medium as the honey mixture is added.
- When add honey mix is added, turn the mixer to high and blend with the mixer for another 10-15 minutes or until it forms a stiff cream the consistency of marshmallow cream (it should form gentle peaks).
- Add the probiotics and any flavor ingredients for the last 2 minutes of mixing (except cocoa powder which can be added to the honey mix in the saucepan).
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with coconut oil, or line with parchment paper, leaving some on the sides to be able to pull up.
- When marshmallows are whipped, pour into the lined/greased dish and smooth evenly.
- Let sit at least 4 hours (overnight is better).
- Flip on to a cutting board and cut with a well oiled pizza cutter or knife.
- Store in an airtight container.
Do NOT store in the fridge as they will melt. Store in an airtight container at room temperature. The probiotics will decrease the shelf life to 3-4 days. Without the probiotics, these will last 2-3 weeks on the counter.