A lot of people think muscles have to be hard to prepare. I promise they are super easy and everyone will think you are a fancy chef!! Such a great treat and light appetizer for everyone.
- 2 lbs. mussels, cleaned and debearded;
- 2 shallots, finely minced;
- 2 garlic cloves, minced;
- 3 cups fish or vegetable broth
- 2 cups coconut milk;
- 3 tbs. chili paste;
- lemon grass
- 1 tbs. fresh lemon juice;
- 1 tsp. dried chili flakes;
- 2 to 3 fresh Thai basil leaves;
- 1/2 dry white wine; (optional)
- fat – pork, coconut oil, butter, ghee , beef (any are ok )
- Fresh cilantro, minced; (to garnish)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt the cooking fat in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook the shallots and garlic until browned and soft.
- Pour in the white wine. Bring to a boil and let simmer until reduced by half.
- Add the fish stock, coconut milk, chili paste, dried chili, basil leaves, lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Lower the heat and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the mussels. Cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until the mussels have completely opened.
- Serve the mussels with the sauce, and garnish with fresh cilantro.