With a buttery, coconut-based crust reminiscent of a shortbread cookie, a sweet, gooey caramel sauce in the middle and rich dark chocolate on top, these magical bars come together in one delicious crunch!
IngredientsFor the crust layer:
- 1 cup coconut flour
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 T honey
For the caramel sauce layer:
- 1 cup dates, pitted and soaked in water
- 1 T unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1 T coconut oil, melted
For the chocolate layer:
- ½ cup dark chocolate
- ½ t coconut oil, melted
- Place dates in a large bowl and fill with water to soften 1-2 hours.
- Drain water from dates, set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine melted coconut oil, honey and coconut flour until it becomes a gooey mixture.
- Place the dough in plastic wrap 20 minutes to set. Do not place in the refrigerator or the coconut oil will harden and separate from the dough.
- While the dough settles, preheat oven to 350oF. Line a 9×5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper, allowing the paper to hang over the edges for easy removal.
- Transfer the crust mixture to the pan and spread into an even layer into the corners of the pan.
- Place crust in the oven to bake 10 minutes until slightly raised and browned. Cool crust 30 minutes before proceeding.
- While the crust bakes, place the dates in the microwave to warm 1-2 minutes. Then add all ingredients for the caramel layer in a blender, placing the dates in first.
- Blend on high until the ingredients are broken down and becomes a sticky, smooth mixture.
- Spread the caramel sauce into an even layer over the crust. Place in refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Once set, make the chocolate layer by melting chocolate and coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Spread the chocolate into an even layer over the bars. Place back in the refrigerator to set 1 hour.
- Remove from the refrigerator and gently lift the bar out of the pan with the parchment paper and place on a hard surface. Slice into 12 bars using a large knife.