Moroccan cuisine contains an exquisite combination of savory and sweet spices to create unique flavors. The result is often quite memorable, as in the case of this Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken. You’ll notice cinnamon in the ingredient list, not a typical spice to be included in a chicken dish, however the combination works beautifully.
Vibrant fresh veggies like butternut squash, tomatoes and onions create a nutritious base on which to serve this tender, spiced chicken. Meals like this
are the building blocks for creating a lean, fit body.
Here’s what you need
For the Slaw
- 1 small head green cabbage, thinly sliced
- ½ small head purple cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of cilantro, chopped
For the Citrus Dressing
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and cubed
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 lbs bone-in, skinless chicken thighs
- ½ cup pimento stuffed green olives, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon fresh chives, minced
- In a slow cooker, combine the squash, tomatoes, onion, garlic, and broth. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, combine the coriander, cumin, cinnamon, salt, and ground black pepper. Rub spice mixture all over chicken thighs; place chicken on top of vegetable mixture in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Once cooked, remove the bones and shred the meat. Transfer the veggies with a slotted spoon to a serving platter and top with the shredded meat, chopped olives and minced chives. Enjoy!
268 calories, 10g fat, 9g carbohydrate, 3g sugar, 560mg sodium, 2g fiber, and 35g protein.
I hope that you get a chance to give this recipe a try this week. Remember that I’m only a call or email away to assist you in all things fitness. And if you are not yet one of my prized clients then call or email me now to set up your first workout – I’d love to help you achieve your best body ever!