Honestly, who needs bread when you can wrap spicy tuna goodness in blanched collard greens? Not me. These wraps are light and tight, and will help make you light and tight too!
The technique of wrapping delicious sandwich fillings in collards is a wonderful way to lighten up your lunch. Collard leaves are super sturdy, last for a week in the fridge, are filled with fiber, and are super low in carbs and calories. The rich green color is nice too.
Make a big batch of these on the weekend to create wraps for lunch all week long. Simply bring a big pot of salted water to boil, blanch the leaves for 2 minutes, then plunge into some ice water before drying off. Easy!
I know Tuna is super high in mercury so limit this to once a month or feel free to use another kind of fish!!!
Here’s what you need
- 2 collard green leaves
- 1 (5oz) can albacore tuna, packed in water– GOOD quality
- 2 Tablespoons coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon coconut aminos
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced carrots
- ½ an avocado, sliced
- ½ a cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into matchsticks
- Bring a medium sized pot of salted water to a boil. Get a bowl of ice water ready. Add the collard green leaves to the pot of boiling salt water for 2 minutes. Remove the leaves from the boiling water and plunge into the ice water for 20 seconds. Place the leaves on a paper towel to dry.
- In a bowl flake the tuna and mix in the coconut cream, coconut aminos, and Sriracha. Mix until well combined.
- Place the two collard green leaves overlapping on a cutting board, in opposite directions so that the wide, flat ends overlap in the middle. Line the tuna, carrots, avocado slices and cucumber matchsticks down the middle, leaving open space around the edges of the leaves.
- Wrap like a burrito, cut down the middle on a diagonal, and serve immediately. Enjoy!
317 calories, 13g fat, 17g carbohydrate, 7g sugar, 193mg sodium, 4g fiber, and 7g protein.
I hope that you get a chance to give this recipe a try this week. Remember that I’m only a call or email away to assist you in all things fitness. And if you are not yet one of my prized clients then call or email me now to set up your first workout – I’d love to help you achieve your best body ever!