I love these easy lemon blueberry scones. Made with almond flour, blueberries, lemon, and honey, they are everything that is good about scones. And they are paleo, gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free. These scones are amazing with honey butter (I make it with ghee) right out of the oven. Of course, you can use coconut butter for a dairy-free topping.
It’s important to use fresh blueberries — frozen blueberries add too much moisture to these scones. And I like a lot of blueberries, they add to the natural sweetness of the almond and honey. Gently fold the blueberries into the batter at the last minute.
The key to this blueberry scone recipe is to keep stirring the flour mixture with the wet ingredients until it forms a dough. At first, it will seem like there is not enough moisture, but if you keep going it will come together into a nice dough. The consistency is similar to biscuit or cookie dough.
It’s also important to use superfine blanched almond flour for these grain-free blueberry scones. Do not substitute coconut flour or other gluten-free flour blends as they will not work in this recipe.
These lemon blueberry scones are perfect with tea or coffee.Prep Time10 minsCook Time20 minsTotal Time30 mins
- 315 grams almond flour about 3 cups
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoonshoney
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Add the almond flour, baking soda, salt, and lemon zest to a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the wet ingredients. Starting in the center, stir the dough until well combined. Fold in blueberries.
- Using a large cookie or ice cream scoop, drop the scones onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Lightly wet hands and gently flatten the tops of the scones. They should be about 1 inch thick.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, until the tops are golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
Calories: 233kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 168mg | Potassium: 22mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 1.2% | Vitamin C: 3% | Calcium: 7.9% | Iron: 8.5%