Some home tips on how to fight Adrenal Fatigue…
Tired“, “worn out“, “exhausted” , Tired and Wired” – these are words that I do occasionally use to describe how I’m feeling when I am helping clients understand adrenal fatigue. They’re also words I’m very mindful of when they do escape my lips as it’s showing I need to slow down and deal with this very prevalent (but rarely diagnosed) health condition.
Adrenal fatigue happens when your adrenal glands cannot adequately function in response to physical, emotional or mental stress. The symptoms of adrenal fatigue are not precise, but include low output of adrenal hormones including cortisol that normally helps to moderate inflammation and help balance our circadian rhythms(among other functions). While we normally experience a burst of cortisol in the morning and a decrease in the evening as part of a 24-hour secretory cycle that aids wake-sleep patterns, in adrenal fatigue this secretion may be diminished leading to fatigue, insomnia, mild depression, pain and inflammation, and chronic low energy, weight gain, hormone imbalances, anxiety.
The first time I realized that I was suffering from something greater than just being tired was when I felt like going to the grocery store was running a marathon. I was working out non-stop, eating perfect, sleeping 9-10 hours a day and I still felt awful. My body was literally falling apart.
Proper nutritional supplementation is the key to supporting adrenal function, with deficiencies in many vitamins and minerals increasing your susceptibility. A poor diet is one of the predisposing factors for adrenal fatigue as processed foods and fast foods are lacking the essential nutrients vitamin C, B vitamins, essential fatty acids and minerals including magnesium and calcium.
Following these adrenal-friendly food recommendations will provide with a range of nutrients for increased adrenal health and function, help to stabilise your blood glucose and energy levels and aid you during times of stress:
- Adopting a wholefood diet – while avoiding junkfood, processed foods and ‘food-like products’ to remove dietary stressors and to boost your energy and vitality.
- Eating five to six servings of fresh vegetables (either raw, cooked, or blended/juiced) to ensure you eat enough fibre and nutrient-rich foods everyday.
- Drink herbal teas including dandelion (a digestive, nutritive herb) or licorice (an adrenal specific herb). If possible drink them slowly and mindfully as part of a daily, destressing, me-time ritual to unwind.
- Eat more whole protein including lean red meat, poultry, fish including salmon, eggs and plant-based protein sources to increase your energy and give your body the amino acid building blocks needed for balanced mood and hormone production.
- Increase sources of probiotic foods including cultured dairy products, kombucha, sauerkraut etc to help with hormonal balance, increasing your immunity, energy and improving mood.
- Eat more sources of vitamin C, and supplement with 2-3g vitamin C per day. Include more of the following food sources of vitamin C: chillies, peppers, citrus, dark leafy greens, strawberries, kiwi fruit, broccoli. The adrenal glands contain very high levels of vitamin C, but are easily depleted in chronic stress and adrenal insufficiency.
- A good way to put some of these recommendations into practice is to get in the habit of making fresh smoothies and juices daily, made with health-boosting ingredients. This is my Green Adrenal Tonic Smoothie, containing oodles of adrenal-friendly vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals from citrus, kale, apple and ginger.
TO BOOK YOUR COMPLIMENTARY 45 MINUTE DISCOVERY CALL TO SEE IF TESTING YOUR ADRENALS IS RIGHT FOR YOU. PLEASE EMAIL ME SEEFITPT@GMAIL.COM I WILL HELP GO OVER THE BEST PLAN TAILORED JUST FOR YOU TO OPTIMIZE YOUR HEALTH.
This adrenal power smoothie is a great support for your health and the healing process for adrenal fatigue.
For the vitamin C, which plays a vital role in adrenal gland function. I use the full fruit instead of just juice to keep the beneficial fiber. You could also use Designs for Health Vit C powder.
For the healthy fat component. (Always buy the full-fat version! I’ve also seen this sold in cartons to to avoid BPA.)
Those with adrenal fatigue are often deficient in sodium – an essential mineral for human health. (I use and adore Salt works sea salt – my favorite source for unrefined sea salt with its beautiful flecks of natural minerals to help sustain health. Or you could switch it up with trace minerals.
Virgin coconut oil
For its proven anti-stress and antioxidant effects, among other benefits.
Grass-fed gelatin or collagen
For its powerful anti-inflammatory properties. (source)
These ingredients all combine into a happy adrenal smoothie powerhouse.
Because when the adrenals ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy. Or something like that. Gnarly adrenals: meet happy smoothie. May your union be daily, and your healing power be exponential.
- 1 orange peeled
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milkshould be nice and creamy
- 1/4 tsp more if you can stand it or trace mineral (liquid)
- 1 T virgin coconut oil
- 1 tsp collagen
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Add all ingredients to a high-powered blender and blend thoroughly.
Sick and Tired of Feeling Sick and Tired?
TO BOOK YOUR COMPLIMENTARY 45 MINUTE DISCOVERY CALL TO SEE IF THIS IS A TEST THAT WOULD HELP YOU. PLEASE EMAIL ME SEEFITPT@GMAIL.COM I WILL HELP GO OVER THE BEST PLAN TAILORED JUST FOR YOU TO OPTIMIZE YOUR HEALTH.
Samantha Lee Lander
Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioner, CHEK Holistic Lifestyle Coach, NESTA Certified Personal Trainer, NASM Certified Personal Trainer, ACSM Wellness and Nutrition Coach, and Metabolic Typing.
#healthyliving #holisticnutrition #integrativehealth #nutrition #naturopathicmedicine #functionalmedicinenutritionist #holistichealth #functionalmedicinemn #healthcoach #functionalnutrition #healthylifestyle #healthy #healthyfood #guthealth #functionalmedicinenp #wellness #functionalmedicineindia #naturalmedicine #functionalmedicinedoctor #functionalmedicinecoaching #functionalmedicineindonesia #functionalmedicinesf #functionalmedicinenyc #naturopathicdoctor #health #functionalmedicinemd #integrativemedicine #functionalmedicinehealthcoaching #functionalmedicinecoachingacademy #functionalmedicinefoods #healthy #healthyeating #food #healthyfoodsshare #healthyfoodie #healthylifestyle #healthyrecipes #healthyfoodsharing #healthyliving #healthyfoods_0kkal #health #healthyfoodstudio #indianhealthyfoods #healthyfoodstores #healthyfoodsinlagos #healthyfoodsemarang #foodie #healthyjunkfoods #healthyrecipe #vegan #mndxhealthyfoods #nutrition #foodporn #healthyfoodsydney #healthyfood #healthyfoodideas #foodstagram #healthyfoodshare #instafood #healthyfoodstagram
#parasites #parasitecleanse #parasiteinc #parasiteegg #parasiteeve #parasiteeve2 #parasitepositive #parasiteprevention #parasitepurge #ParasiteRodeoClown #fatigue #fatiguerogue #fatigued #fatiguee #fatiguer #fatigues #fatiguepants #fatigueshirt #fatigueseason #fatiguesarmynavy #fatiguereducingdrink #fatigueofsupport #fatiguent #fatiguejacket #fatigueisreal #fatigueintense #fatiguehashtags #fatiguefightingmama #fatigueemaisheureuse #fatiguedusoir #fatigueday