#2 – Caffeine messes with the hormonal system for 24 hours
Your body on coffee/caffeine
The cyclical journey your body goes through when you drink coffee in the morning:
- If you add cream and sugar or grab any of the fancy coffees at Starbucks or Coffee Bean, your blood sugar will rise. Studies show most women don’t actually enjoy the taste of coffee and will add as much sugar and cream as possible to make it taste good.
- The caffeine alone causes you to release extra cortisol, which makes sure that any sugar goes straight into your bloodstream, along with stressing out the adrenals.
- The insulin spike makes you crave carbohydrates and sugar when your blood sugar level crashes, causing you to want to overeat and make poor choices.
- You are then working at a hypoglycemic level, craving more carbohydrates and sugar to keep you going.
- Your whole endocrine function is focused entirely on dealing with the fall out of your morning coffee and everything else that desperately needs attention – your ovaries! -Gets ignored.
- You cannot reset your body until you go to sleep and wake up the next day, and your sleep is disturbed for hours no matter of how long it’s been since the first coffee.
- You wake up tired and your first instinct is to boost your energy with more coffee.
#3 – Caffeine sucks the body of micronutrients needed for hormone balance
We all know not to drink coffee when we’re pregnant or breastfeeding, but the fact is – we shouldn’t be drinking it at all. At every stage it is bad for your hormones.
Coffee at any time of the day increases insomnia. Even one cup will disrupt your sleep. Lack of good sleep suppresses your healthy hormone production. Whether it’s trouble getting to sleep or trouble staying asleep, coffee is one of the main causes.
Coffee will deplete magnesium and other nutrients and minerals that are vital for good hormone balance, such as B vitamins. Do you crave chocolate before your period? This is due to a drop in magnesium, which is found in chocolate.
The acidity of coffee causes an imbalance in your gut flora and will burn out hydrochloric acid that helps you digest your food. One way to avoid this is never drink your coffee black. You can throw in some coconut oil or cream.
So while caffeine may seem harmless it is depleting your key hormone balancing micronutrients, aiding to adrenal fatigue and cortisol disruption by spiking your cortisol and insulin, causing digestive issues, and disrupting your endocrine function.
So, for those of you who just love coffee and won’t give it up here is how to minimize those bad effects:
- Ditch the White Stuff – Lose the sugar and the cream and minimize the blood sugar impact.
- Size Matters – Take the European approach to coffee drinking. Drink a small cup of fresh espresso with some coconut oil.
- Look into the coffee alternatives or tea.
Only with Food – Do not use coffee as a meal replacement it is NOT.
#seefitliving #nontoxicproducts #toxicburden #healinghashimotos #aip #autoimmune #hormones #thyroid #guthealth #leakygut #paleo #glutenfree #cleaneating #healthtips #healthychoices #mindset #mindandbody #hashimotos #adrenals #adrenalfatigue #fatigue #energy #workout #adrenalfatiguerecovery #cortisol #chronicfatigue #grainfree #activateandupgradeyourhealing #thepowerofepigenetics #livingwithhashimotos